"When everything's made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am..." - Iris

08 March 2008

all the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely smokers?

Apparently, some people in Minnesota found a loophole in the smoking ban. The ban disallows smoking in bars, unless it is part of a theatrical production, like a prop for actors. So, bar owners started to make playbills and encourage patrons to dress in costume and "act" in their play. One even put up a black curtain with a sign that reads "Stage Entrance" and under props, a stack of ashtrays. Mostly these "actor's" costumes consist of everyday clothing and act like they always do, with the exception of a few creative characters who add accents.

I thought this was completely insane. But in a good way. Granted, I am really against smoking because I have a very sensitive airway that has me producing unlady-like sounds when I smell strong and nasty things. However, I have to give them applause for their ingenious way of getting what they want. Some people look at themselves as activist who are kind of "sticking it to the man" when they do this, showing just how they feel about the ban.

Of course, the officials (whomever is supposed to monitor that the law is followed) are already cracking down on these fake productions. After all, regardless their actions, it doesn't change that second-hand smoke is harmful. I mean, that crap still sticks to you even when you go home and kiss your babies goodnight or drive them around in your vehicle the next day. But hey, it was fun while it lasted.

No comments: